- A Message from Your GPA Executive
- Notice of Annual General Meeting (AGM) PLUS a Special Parent Education Session
- Purdys Fundraiser
- And more…
A Message from Your GPA Executive
Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year! We hope you all had a wonderful summer. We are looking forward to reconnecting with all of our GATE families.
We have several exciting events coming up which we hope you will take part in (details below).
We are also looking for people to join our team. This is an election year (see AGM details below). If you are interested in volunteering with your GPA, please contact us.
In addition to executive and committee roles, we have the following opportunities:
NOTE: Interested members are invited to volunteer as individuals or as teams. We all work together at the GPA, so there’s always lots of support!
- Social Media Administrator(s) – find stories of interest to GATE parents and post to Facebook; respond to messages on Facebook; monitor our Twitter account
- Newsletter Coordinator(s) – work with the GPA Secretary and others to create regular newsletters and other email updates
- Site Rep for Hillhurst School – attend school council meetings and provide a summary of GATE activities and purchases to the GPA secretary
- Community Engagement Coordinator(s) – work with interested parties in developing gifted education community and understanding the needs of the community
- Special Projects Coordinator(s) – we have a number of exciting special projects scheduled for this year – organize all aspects of one or more special projects and any necessary volunteers
- Your Title Here – If you want to help us, we want you! Let us know how you’d like to be involved.
If you have questions or would like to be involved, please contact us anytime at email@example.com .
Notice of Annual General Meeting (AGM)
** PLUS a special presentation by Laurie Alisat, Assistant Principal, Westmount Mid-High Charter School
Tuesday, September 24
Louis Riel School
9632 Oakfield Dr SW
NOTE: If your child is enrolled in GATE as of September 2019, you are a member of the GATE Parent Association. You are eligible to vote at business meetings and can be elected to our executive and board at our Annual General Meeting (AGM). If you are interested in volunteering your time, feel free to contact us with any questions. Information about our roles can be found here: Our Roles
The GPA and Louis Riel School Council Purdys fundraiser has been a great success three years running. We’re doing it again this November. Stay tuned for more details. If you’d like to volunteer to help with the fundraiser, please email us.
Parent Education Sessions
Watch for announcements about upcoming parent information sessions in the fall and winter. Have a suggestion for an information session? Let us know!
New GATE process
Please see the Calgary Board of Education’s Exceptional and Special Needs page for information on the revised internal referral and placement process for specialized gifted education.
ALBERTA HEALTH SERVICES
ALBERTA HEALTH SERVICES is offering the following sessions which may be of interest to our members:
Understanding Autism & ADHD to Promote Long-Term Success
Available until: March 31, 2020 – 6:00 PM
Nutrition and Mental Health: An overview of what the science says
Available until: March 31, 2020 – 6:00 PM
Juno House presents: Healthy Brains = Healthy Children
September 19, 10:30 AM – Noon
Alberta Children’s Hospital – Theatre
ADHD is Awesome!
October 3, 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
St. Sebastian School
Understanding Childhood Stress & Anxiety *Also available as a Webinar*
October 8, 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
Windsong Heights School
Gender Diversity and Autism: A Spectrum Within the Spectrum
October 10, 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
The Ability Hub
For details and full calendar, visit http://community.hmhc.ca/sessions
Links to helpful articles on parenting gifted children
For more articles, see our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/GateParentAssociation/
Differently Wired: Raising an Exceptional Child in a Conventional World
by Deborah Reber
2019 NAGC Book of the Year Award winner
For more book recommendations, see our website at https://gatecalgary.ca/presentations/books/
Indigo Gift Cards
Support GATE by buying books! This ongoing fundraiser allows members to support the GPA, the GATE program, their students, and our GATE teachers. Shop for things you buy anyway, and earn funds to help enhance the GATE program.
Click below to buy a gift card, and 15% of the purchase price goes to support the work that we do, including funding for teacher professional development and public information seminars and events. Gift cards may be used at all Chapters, Indigo, and Coles stores, and online.