- Meet your new Executive!
- Call for volunteers
- High School Information Sessions and Community Engagement Process
- School News
- Purdys Fundraiser
- Alberta Health Services Information Sessions
- Follow us on Instagram!
- And more…
Meet your New GPA!
The GPA held its Annual General Meeting on September 24, 2019. It was a voting year, and here are the results:
President – Sue McLarty
Vice-President – Traci Akierman
Treasurer – Jeroen Pieterse
Secretary – Brandi Dyck
Past-President – Sandy Dewald
Board Members (non-elected)
Casino Committee – Edward Ling, Chair; Stefanie Elliot, volunteer coordinator
Parent Education Committee – Leanne Stewart, Chair
Fundraising Committee – Stefanie Elliot, Chair
Bookkeeper – Alpa Mehta
Social Media Administrator – Amber McSween
Queen Elizabeth – Tina Leard
Henry Wise Wood – Diana Birns
Hillhurst School – Traci Nayeri
Louis Riel School – OPEN
We wish to say a big “Thank-you” to Sandy Dewald and Leanne Stewart for their hard work in the roles of President and Vice-President over the past two years. We are happy that they will both continue to be part of the team in their new roles. Thank-you also to Michelle Johnson for all her work as Treasurer for the past two years.
We are still looking for volunteers to help in the following roles:
- Newsletter Coordinator(s) – work with the GPA Secretary and others to create regular newsletters and other email updates
- Site Rep for Louis Riel School – attend school council meetings and provide a summary of GATE activities and casino fund spending to the GPA secretary
- Community Engagement Coordinator(s) – work with interested parties in promoting gifted education and understanding the needs of gifted students and their families
- Special Projects Coordinator(s) – we have a number of exciting special projects scheduled for this year – organize all aspects of one or more special projects and any necessary volunteers
- Your Title Here – If you want to help us, we want you! Let us know how you’d like to be involved.
NOTE: Interested members are invited to volunteer as individuals or as teams
High School Open Houses
Henry Wise Wood High School
Address: 910 – 75 Avenue S.W., Calgary, AB, T2V 0S6
International Baccalaureate (IB) Program
Nov. 7 from 6:30-7:30pm
Grade 9 students interested in the IB Program are invited to attend
High School Open House
Dec. 5 from 6:30-8:30 pm
The evening will begin with an assembly in the main gym followed by information sessions, ongoing self-guided school tours and student-guided school tours.
Queen Elizabeth High School
Address: 512 18 St NW, Calgary, AB, T2N 2G5
High School Open House
Dec. 9 from 6:00-8:00 pm
Includes AP and GATE Information Sessions, and Ongoing Student-Led Tours of School
Shaping the Future of High School – CBE Community Engagement
Parents are encouraged to participate in the CBE’s community engagement process. Participation in phase one of this process closes on November 7th.
More information here: https://cbe.ab.ca/get-involved/public-engagement/Pages/High-School-Engagement.aspx
Participate online here: https://engage.cbedialogue.com/en/projects/3
Fundraising: Annual Cheque Writing Campaign to support a wide range of program enrichment initiatives supported by the Hillhurst School Society and directed by Hillhurst School administration: including Mathletics, field study opportunities, physical education residencies, and books for the learning commons.
October Field Trips:
– Grade 4’s – Fort Calgary
– Grade 5’s – Telus Spark
– Grade 6’s – City Hall
– Grade 7’s – Zoo GATE (half will attend in October; the other half will attend in November)
Artist in Residence: The Grade 4 classes will be having an artist in residence coming in to work with them on a drama presentation.
Robotics Team: Some of the GATE students are participating in the school Robotics team. They will be competing in Tech First Challenge.
Upcoming Field Trips:
– Grade 7s: Drumheller – overnight trip, Spy Hill – day trip, Open Minds – one-week trips
– Grade 9s: MacDougall Centre – one-day trip, Provincial Courthouse – one-day trip
– U of C – one day trip – any interested – To be given a lecture by a professor, and to be given the opportunity to read their work before an audience of graduate students. All grades can come.
Scientist in Residence: – personal carbon footprints – primarily grade seven
Writer in residence: – emphasis on creative writing – grades 7, 8, and 9
Class visit – Burgess Shale specialist – grade 7s
The GPA and Louis Riel School Council Purdys fundraiser has been a great success three years running, and we’re doing it again! The Purdys fundraiser is now live. These funds go to cover classroom supports that can not be purchased using casino funds, such as GATE teacher professional development and wellness room supplies. Follow the instructions below to order your Christmas chocolate gifts. Don’t forget a little something for yourself!
NOTE: This event would not be possible without the many volunteers who help sort chocolate when it arrives. If you are available to help with this task, please email us!
Purdys Chocolate Winter Fundraiser
25% of sales go directly to the GATE PARENT ASSOCIATION and LOUIS RIEL SCHOOL COUNCIL
Thank you for your support!
Order Deadline: November 16th at 6:00pm
Classroom delivery & pickup: November 28th & 29th
FREE DELIVERY within Calgary for orders over $500
Online ordering steps: https://fundraising.purdys.com/4393-67837
- Enter your email address
- Log in or register
- IMPORTANT: If you have a child in GATE at Louis Riel, click on your name (in the top right hand corner beside logout) and add your child’s homeroom teacher & number to your last name in the “Last Name” field. This will allow us to deliver to the correct classroom.
- Click “Shop Online” (third tab under Purdy’s logo)“Use Online Order Form” or “Marketplace” to place your order
Questions about this fundraiser?
Contact the GATE Parent Association via email.
Questions about ingredients/allergies?
Contact Purdys 1-800-661-2378
If your school council would like to partner with the GATE Parent Association on a fundraiser like the Purdys fundraiser, please contact us.
Alberta Health Community Education Services Classes
Alberta Health Services is offering the following sessions which may be of interest to our members:
ADHD & Executive Functioning: Nov. 27 from 6:30-8:30pm (recorded)
Understanding Autism & ADHD to Promote Long-Term Sucess:
Available until Mar. 31, 2020 at 6:00pm
Nutrition and Mental Health: An Overview of What the Science Says:
Available until: March 31, 2020 – 6:00 PM
25 Things Kids with ADHD Wished Their Parents & Teachers Knew About ADHD: Nov. 27 from 6:30-8:30pm
Huntington Hills Parent Link – Upper Boardroom – 520 78 Ave NW
For details and full calendar, visit http://community.hmhc.ca/sessions
We have a new Instagram account!
FOLLOW * LIKE * SHARE!
Stay tuned for news of upcoming parent education sessions. Have an idea for a speaker or presentation that would that our families would love? Email us!
Links to helpful articles
Indigo Gift Cards
Support GATE by buying books! This ongoing fundraiser allows members to support the GPA, the GATE program, their students, and our GATE teachers. Shop for things you buy anyway, and earn funds to help enhance the GATE program.
Click below to buy a gift card, and 15% of the purchase price goes to support the work that we do, including funding for teacher professional development and public information seminars and events. Gift cards may be used at all Chapters, Indigo, and Coles stores, and online.
Click on the image below to purchase.
Prefer to make a PERSONAL DONATION?
Donate now and we will send you a tax receipt for donations over $20!