- Meet your new Executive!
- Call for volunteers
- Casino Fundraiser – We need YOUR help!
- Alberta Health Services Information Sessions
- Indigo Gift Cards – Books and Fall…a perfect pairing!
- And more…
Meet your New GPA!
The GPA held its Annual General Meeting on September 21, 2021. It was a voting year, and here are the results:
President – Traci Akierman
Vice-President – Alicia Mossing
Treasurer – Jeroen Pieterse
Past-President – Sue McLarty
Secretary – OPEN
Board Members (non-elected)
Casino Committee – OPEN
Parent Education Committee -OPEN
Fundraising Committee – OPEN
Social Media Administrator – Amber McSween
Queen Elizabeth – Tina Leard/Janice Dekkers
Henry Wise Wood – OPEN
Hillhurst School – Kathie Robert
Louis Riel School – Irina Rajakumar
We wish to say a big “Thank-you” to Sue McLarty and Brandi Dyck for their hard work in the roles of President and Secretary over the past two years. We are happy that Sue will continue working with the executive as Past President.
We are still looking for volunteers to help in the following roles:
- Secretary – The Secretary is responsible to help manage the written materials of the GPA, including preparing agendas and taking minutes at our General and Annual General meetings.
- Casino Coordinator – Our casino runs October 28 and 29 this year. We need someone to fill this role ASAP! There is a lot of support from the team for this role. Activities include: Helping to recruit and schedule volunteers; other duties as needed, with support from the Treasurer (e.g. completing final paperwork/reports after the casino event)
- General Fundraising Chair – who will manage the Christmas Purdys fundraiser (if we proceed this year), with help from the rest of the team, and take on new general fundraising initiatives as the need arises
- Parent Education Chair – who will work with presenters and venues (or online resources) to schedule and organize parent education sessions
- Newsletter Coordinator – who will work with the executive team, school site reps, and other parties to compose newsletters using MailChimp
- Site Rep Henry Wise Wood – who can attend school council meetings, provide a summary of GATE activities and purchases to the GPA secretary, and report any news or concerns to the executive team
- Your Title Here – If you want to help us, we want you! Let us know how you’d like to be involved.
NOTE: Interested members are invited to volunteer as individuals or as teams. We all work together at the GPA, so there’s always lots of support!
If you are interested in volunteering your time, or if you have any questions, please contact us. Information about our executive and board member roles can be found here: Our Roles
NOTE: If your child is enrolled in GATE as of September 2021, you are a member of the GATE Parent Association. You are eligible to vote at business meetings and can be elected to our executive and board at our Annual General Meeting (AGM).
You can view previous meeting minutes on our website.
Want to help raise A LOT of money in a short time? JOIN US at Elbow River Casino October 28/29!! Please sign up below for one of the roles listed. Please ensure your email and phone number are valid. Every role needs to be filled for the casino to proceed – even the backup positions.
Brief Volunteer Descriptions:
General Manager: Responsible for the overall continuity of the casino. Some data entry experience is required. May fill in for any volunteer positions for a short period (not a complete shift) of time if needed.
Banker: In control of the cash and chip inventories. This position is mostly data entry and should be staffed by someone who can use a computer mouse.
Cashier: Redeems players’ chips for cash. Little data entry required.
Chiprunner: Delivers chips from the Banker to the game tables as required. Will count chips with the gaming floor staff as required. A fair amount of data entry is required.
Countroom Staff: Will sort and use money counting machines to count money. Some data entry required. (*late-night shift)
To sign up to volunteer, please click the link below:
THANK-YOU! We couldn’t do this without the help of our amazing volunteers!
Alberta Health Community Education Services Classes
Alberta Health Services is offering the following sessions which may be of interest to our members:
Emotional Regulation: A Guide for Parents and Educators on Supporting Emotional Development: Oct.19 from 6:30-8:00pm
Adolescent Brain Development and Navigating Parent-Teen Relationships: Oct. 26 from 6:00-8:00pm
Girls and Covid Nine-Teen (Amy Shaw): Oct. 27 from 6:30-8:00pm
Additional Community Sessions of Interest
Foothills Academy is hosting a session on Note Taking and Assistive Technology, especially as it pertains to students with Learning Disabilities, ADHD, and/or Developmental Coordination Disorder.
Note Taking and Assistive Technology ($10 Fee): Oct. 7 from 6:30-8:00pm
Indigo Gift Cards
Books and Fall…A Perfect Pairing! As the days grow cooler, there’s nothing better than curling up with a good book. You can support GATE by buying books! This ongoing fundraiser allows members to support the GPA, the GATE program, their students, and our GATE teachers. Shop for things you buy anyway, and earn funds to help enhance the GATE program.
Click below to buy a gift card, and 15% of the purchase price goes to support the work that we do, including funding for teacher professional development and public information seminars and events. Gift cards may be used at all Chapters, Indigo, and Coles stores, and online.